For the first time in my working life, I have been laid off. I have officially joined the ranks of the unemployed, a victim of the recession. Or perhaps just the victim of poor management and even worse business leadership choices ... but that's neither here nor there.
As of May 18, I am no longer employed. I was told that my position was "no longer part of [company's] growth plans." I see. Is it because I came to work with two different shoes on that one day? Because I can explain that one.
To the surprise of pretty much everyone, I'm totally OK with this turn of events. I have applied for and been accepted to receive unemployment insurance. Sure, it's about a tenth of what I was making, but it's better than nothing.
Also, I have a lot to do before leaving for England, including getting my stuff shipped over, putting together a visa application, getting medical records together, fixing up and and selling my car, updating my resume and asking for letters of rec for job searching abroad .... blogging about all of the stuff I have to do instead of actually doing it. It's a lot of things to do while also working a full-time job, you see. Now, I have my days free to Take Care of Business (or TCB as my husband and I like to say).
And I also have more time to spend with friends and family before I run off to live happily ever after in foreign land. Sure, I'll be flat broke and they'll have to be OK with doing things that are free or inexpensive. But I have always been a master of where to find free drinks or cheap drinks and free food (happy hour is the best invention ever).
Not to mention, I get to sleep in and go to the gym at random hours when no one's around. Near as I can tell, aside from the financial challenge this news presents, there is little downside to being unemployed. Just one more challenge in the already challenging journey two transatlantic robots in love. And like everything else, we totally got this.
No comments:
Post a Comment